The church began as members meeting in homes in 1844 which they continued until they erected a church on land donated by Barclay Wilson. The then Beaver Dam Protestant Church was a one story building 28 by 32 feet. It faced the road to Georgetown behind the cemetery. The church was under the ministering of the Goshen Church in Milton.
The section we use as the Sanctuary was built in 1865 and was built in a part of the cemetery where the Rust, Koppl, Koppel and Kopple lots are. The Harbeson, Reynolds and Cave Neck Churches combined to build the parsonage.
Services were held in this church until 1885 when the membership had increased to 54. Harbeson Hickman donated additional land and another church was built; 50 by 40 feet. The first church was moved to Cave Neck as part of the Milton Circuit and later became part of the Grace Methodist Church.
The church name Beaver Dam was changed to the Broadkill and then to Harbeson after Harbeson Hickman.
In 1927 the congregation had outgrown the Old Beaver Dam Church, so called from the many beavers in the area. The church was moved across the road and a larger addition was added.
There were a variety of changes over the past 50 years of organizational changes from the Harbeson Charge in 1962 with 3 churches to the Milton Goshen-Harbeson Charge in 1975 to July 1, 2000 when we became the Harbeson United Methodist Church, a charge unto itself. When Wallace Kopple started school in 1922 there were 3 stores in town owned by William Short, the Stewart and the third by Joseph Calhoun who also cut hair. Floyd Lingo later built a store across the road from the Stewarts and he had gas pumps. Sheridan Warrington opened an auto repair shop and in the 1920s the Prettymans built a repair shop. In the vicinity of the Lawsons shop was the Broadkill Rail Station where we had 2 passenger trains stop each day. - Taken from Wallace Kopple's recollection of the church history.